February 15, 2009

I'm So Effing Cold

Computer problems here persist. Posts will continue to be sporadic, mainly because I hate typing long form essays on laptops. Keep with me, though - I'll be back on my horse soon.

Notes from a recent phone conversation with Matthew Pickerill Esq.:


Running down to Etown mid January the numbers on the dash hit negative territory. I was kinda curious how the display would look below zero.

The first week of February the temps brushed up against 70 Fahrenheit. Between those two events I was nothing but cold and miserable. I understand now why old people move to Florida and Arizona . . . besides taxes, that is. I'm getting old, and I can't handle the cold.

It's not as if I were reared in International Falls or something, but Northern Indiana is a lot colder than this. I used to bundle up & hike across campus in brutal South Bend winters without much thought. Hell, I used to enjoy temperatures around zero (yes, I would even have called it invigorating). But now, the cold is killing me. It seems as if the damn Maxx will never heat up - or, more accurately, it always manages to heat up about five minutes before I get to work. The electric seat warmers help a little, but not enough. I am so effing cold.

The cold shifts me into another sphere. I used to enjoy the clean high, the adrenalin rush of the body battling the cold. Now, it's just pain. I feel like I'm in the bunker. Cold shuts me down, makes me hate.

Fortunately, there's not much of this pain left for the season. I expect one last winter blast (traditionally around tournament time), then we'll be done for a bit. After a nice spring alternating wonderful weather with horrible storms and destruction, we'll be into the heat.

Until then, I'm done bitching about the weather.

In rotation:

Conlon Nancarrow - Complete Studies for Player Piano Vol. 3
Carl Ruggles - Sun Treader, Lilacs, Portals, Evocations
Henry Cowell - Toccanta
Hot Tuna - Double Dose
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
John Cage - Indeterminacy
Arizona Amp and Alternator
Effigies - Ink
Sun City Girls - Flute and Mask
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information
John Fahey - Blind Joe Death, The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death, America
Skip James - Complete Early Recordings
Josh White - Free and Equal Blues
Green on Red - Gas, Food, Lodging
Gun Club - Fire of Love
Charlie Patton - Father of the Delta Blues
Scrawl - Nature Film
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
The Fall - Heads Roll, Live at the Witch Trials

2/6/09 revised 2/15/09

No comments: