December 19, 2011

The 51st Revolution

Ah, the annual report.  Seems I was a bit pissy last year.  Don't know why, don't care.  It was what it was.

New job this year.  Not a monumental difference, but this one's not killing me with the death of a thousand cuts . . . i.e., I come home with some energy and the ability to do more than just recover from the job.  It's up to me to take advantage of that.  So far, so good.  I celebrated my first week of non-obscene holiday season working hours by writing a big chunk of crap and recording a new song I am rather fond of.  A true memorial indeed!

Sometimes I feel like I'm in my early thirties, and just lagging behind.  I have ideas, I've always had ideas . . . now, I know what I can do with my life.  I have a plan with a main strategy and a secondary strategy, and both seem (simultaneously) executable.  Kinda wish I would have figured this out twenty years ago, but it is what it is: and chances are, knowing where I was twenty years ago, I wouldn't have been able to pull this off back then.  It's just . . . well, now there's a little bit more urgency to get something done.  Time doesn't seem infinite anymore, even though it feels like I still have plenty of it.

Plenty of time?  It wasn't that long ago that I turned forty, seems like . . .

The one thing I am starting to understand fully is the gift of age.  It sort of snuck up on me, but I am feeling the depths of my age, and that (mostly) makes me very happy.  It turns out that most of what I want out of life will come to me of its own accord, if only I am diligent in living the life I think is right.  It doesn't make it easy, but what is?

Anyway, more crashing generalities (just like in years past), but there you have it.  This ain't no damn confessional.  I am grateful for my wife Sharri, my good friends (and they are many), and my family.  I am looking forward to the future with growing impatience: I am just happy to greet every new day, even if it takes me forever to get out of bed to do it.

No comments: