December 19, 2008

The 48th Revolution

I'm toasting my birthday with a 750 of La Fin du Monde. As per usual, I spent the whole day working . . . which, unfortunately, means I didn't make it over to the Vietnam Kitchen for my traditional birthday meal. Oh well - at least the boss let me off an hour early.

Nothing big to report today, no life-contexts pushing at my consciousness for articulation. I read the post for my birthday last year, and things are more or less the same: a wee bit better financially (for the time being - that's changing for the worse as we speak), sipping beer instead of whiskey, the Cavs and the Nuggets on the 13", listening to Hendrix and Christmas music instead of Freddie King . . .

To characterize this year, I would use the word "pleasant". It's been a nice year. A little extra money allowed us to get a low-mileage car (and one I really like!), to pay our debts, and to not pinch pennies on our August vacation. I got to go and visit Kim and Jim in Cali, and see the ocean for the first time (not counting the Gulf of Mexico around New Orleans and Houston). I got to re-connect with my old friend Rob in San Fran. We got a president that's not an asshole. I was, on balance, in a good mood all year.

My age-shock came a couple years ago, when I went to the doctor for the first time since I was in my twenties. I've adjusted to the middle-aged routine: I got used to my bifocals, I take my blood pressure meds every day, I lost 35 lbs. (I need to loose 30 more), I take my cholesterol meds, I go to the gym, I quit smoking. I'm actually in better shape than I have been since I was in my 20's. My legs are strong, I'm never short of breath, but I'm still a little over-shapely in a tight T-shirt.

My 48th year was pleasant, and nice is nice. It was, however, only prelude. My 49th year will be, without question, the most eventful of my life.

In the meantime, I raise a glass: to you, my friends, each and every one of you. To you, my family. To you, my loved and loving wife. Y'all make it worthwhile . . . and beyond that, interesting and fun. Love to all y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bill!